Consultant in Soft Tissue Surgery
- RCVS Diplomat in Small Animal Soft Tissue Surgery
- RCVS Specialist in Small Animal Surgery (Soft Tissue)
- Cert SAS
- DSAS (Soft Tissue)
Ivan graduated from Bristol University in 1997. After working in private practice in Yorkshire and Hertfordshire, he completed a three-year postgraduate surgical residency at Bristol in 2008. He is an RCVS Diplomat in Small Animal Soft Tissue Surgery and a Recognised Specialist in Small Animal Soft Tissue Surgery.
Ivan has additionally worked in surgical referral centres in France and spent six years working as a senior staff surgeon at Bristol University, before joining the surgery team at Bristol Veterinary Specialists, in September 2017. He has been an examiner for the RCVS Diploma (Specialist) examinations in soft tissue surgery as well as a member of the British College of Veterinary Specialists and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK).
Ivan has long experience in minimally invasive (keyhole) techniques and intravascular image guided procedures; which relieves the need for open surgery on your pet. He was one of the very first specialists in the UK to treat complex liver circulatory problems, using purely intravascular techniques. He has championed the use of endoscopically guided laser correction of ectopic ureters (a cause of incontinence).
Publications and research:
- Carpal derangement and associated carpal valgus in a dog. EJ Comerford ICP Doran MR Owen. Veterinary Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology 19: 113-116 (2006)
- Extensive bilateral odontogenic cysts in the mandible of a dog. ICP Doran G Pearson FJ Barr A Hotston Moore. Veterinary Pathology 45: 58-60 (2008)
- Liver size, Bodyweight, and Tolerance to Acute Complete Occlusion of Congenital Extrahepatic Portosystemic Shunts in Dogs. ICP Doran FJ Barr A Hotston Moore TG Knowles PE Holt. Veterinary Surgery 37(7): 656-662 (2008)
- Acute Oropharyngeal and Esophageal Stick Injury in 41 dogs. ICP Doran CA Wright A Hotston Moore. Veterinary Surgery 37(8): 781-785 (2008)
- Successful surgical treatment of a suspected iatrogenic arytenoid cartilage fracture in a dog. ICP Doran RN White. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 45: 181-184 (2009)
- Extraction of urethral calculi by transabdominal cystoscopy and urethroscopy in nine dogs. S Libermann I Doran C Bille E Bomassi E Rattez. Journal of Small Animal Practice 52(4): 190-194 (2011)
- Matrix metalloproteinase activity in stifle synovial fluid of cranial cruciate ligament deficient dogs and effect of postoperative doxycycline treatment. M Rabillard, R Danger, IP Doran, GW Niebauer, S Brouard, O Gauthier. The Veterinary Journal 193: 271-273 (2012)
- Myelomeningocoele And A Sinus Dermoid-Like Lesion In A French Bulldog. S Ployart, I Doran S Libermann Canadian Veterinary Journal 54(12): 1133–1136. (2013)
- Thoracoscopic Resection of Right Auricular Masses in dogs (9 cases): 2003-2011. S Ployart E Monnet I Doran S Libermann Journal American Veterinary Medical Association 15;242(2):237-41 (2013)
- Surgical Resolution Of An Oesophageal Duplication Cyst Causing Regurgitation In A Domestic Shorthair Cat. Doran, I., Costa, M. & Dawson, L. (2015) Journal of feline medicine and surgery open reports. 1, p. 1-4
- Long-term outcome of female dogs treated with static hydraulic urethral sphincter for urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence. Gomes, C., Doran, I., Friend, E., Tivers, M. & Chanoit, G. Accepted May 2017 In : Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Electrosurgery reduces blood loss and immediate postoperative inflammation compared to cold instruments for midline celiotomy in dogs: A randomized controlled trial (2017). Meakin L, Murrell J, Doran I, Knowles T, Tivers M, Chanoit G Veterinary Surgery. 46, 4, p. 515–519
- Suspected bilateral phrenic nerve damage following a mediastinal mass removal in a 17-week-old pug. Raillard M, Murison P, Doran I. (2017) The Canadian veterinary journal. La revue vétérinaire canadienne. 58, 3, p. 270-274
- Tensile Comparison of Polydioxanone, Polyglyconate, and Barbed Glycolide-Trimethylene Carbonate Suture in Canine Cadaveric Tensor Fascia Lata (2017). Shimizu N, Tarlton J, Friend E, Doran I, Parsons K.Veterinary Surgery. 46, 1, 89–94
- Use of an epidural catheter inserted at L1-L2 in a dog undergoing pelvic limb amputation. Raillard M, Harcourt-Brown T, Doran I, MacFarlane P. (2016) Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia. 43, 2, p. 237-238
- Polypoid cystitis in a male entire springer spaniel puppy. Ruiz G, Day M, Doran I, Major A, Warman S (2018)Veterinary Record Case Reports
- Open-mouth jaw locking in cats: a literature review and use of computed tomography in three cases. Nutt A, Anderson T, Gracis M, Doran I, Warren-Smith C, Langley-Hobbs S. (2018). J Feline Med Surg 20(12) p1180-1191
- Barium peritonitis with abdominal abscessation. Matiasovic M, Nutt A, Parsons K, Doran I (2018). Journal of Small Animal Practice
- Limb function-preserving ischiectomy for canine osteosarcoma. O Gilman I Doran M Matiasovic (2020) J Small Anim Pract 61(10):p653
A comparison of harmonic and traditional sharp staphylectomy techniques in 15 brachycephalic dogs (2022)
- Journal of Small Animal Practice O Gilman L Moreira M Dobromylskyj I Doran
- Esophageal Foreign Bodies. Doran, I. (2015) In: Small Animal Surgical Emergencies. Ed Lillian Aronson.
- Interventional radiology: intrahepatic portosystemic shunt. Doran, I.1 May 2014 Vetstream.
- Esophageal Foreign Bodies. Doran, I. (2022) In: Small Animal Surgical Emergencies 2nd Edition. Ed Lillian Aronson.