Consultant in Anaesthesia and Analgesia
- RCVS Specialist in Veterinary Anaesthesia
- EBVS® European Specialist in Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia
- BVSc. (hons)
Jo Murrell joined Highcroft after a career in academia, most recently at Bristol University from 2007-2018. While at Bristol, she focussed her time on pain research and clinical anaesthesia. Jo has carried out many studies investigating pain mechanisms and clinical analgesic protocols in cats, dogs and horses. These studies have contributed to the Market Authorisation of methadone and buprenorphine in dogs and cats and buprenorphine in horses. Her work has also clearly demonstrated upregulation of pain pathways in dogs with osteoarthritis, highlighting the need for aggressive pain management in these patients.
Jo is a Diplomate of the European College in Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, since 2002 and enjoys the challenges of clinical anaesthesia. She is a member of the WSAVA Global Pain Council and is passionate about providing best practice in analgesia to cats and dogs.
Jo enjoys the challenge of anaesthetising complex cases with significant co-morbidities. She also runs a chronic pain management clinic and really enjoys the pharmacotherapy of chronic pain, as well as acupuncture.
Publications and research:
- Prescription of perioperative analgesics by UK small animal veterinary surgeons in 2013. Hunt JR, Knowles TG, Lascelles BD, Murrell JC.Vet Rec. 2015 May 9;176(19):493.
- Electrophysiological characterisation of central sensitisation in canine spontaneous osteoarthritis. Hunt JR, Goff M, Jenkins H, Harris J, Knowles TG, Lascelles BDX, Enomoto M, Mendl M, Whay HR, Murrell JC. Pain. 2018 Nov;159(11):2318-2330.
- Long-term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in cats with chronic kidney disease: from controversy to optimism. Monteiro B, Steagall PVM, Lascelles BDX, Robertson S, Murrell JC, Kronen PW, Wright B, Yamashita K. J Small Anim Pract. 2019 Aug;60(8):459-462.
- Quantitative sensory testing in dogs with painful disease: A window to pain mechanisms? Hunt J, Knazovicky D, Lascelles BDX, Murrell J. Vet J. 2019 Jan;243:33-41.
- Anti-nerve growth factor monoclonal antibodies for the control of pain in dogs and cats. Enomoto M, Mantyh PW, Murrell J, Innes JF, Lascelles BDX. Vet Rec. 2019 Jan 5;184(1):23.
- Pain and analgesia in pet rabbits within the veterinary environment: a review. Benato L, Rooney NJ, Murrell JC. Vet Anaesth Analg. 2019 Mar;46(2):151-162.
- Ice therapy: cool, current and complicated. Wright B, Kronen PW, Lascelles D, Monteiro B, Murrell JC, Robertson S, Steagall PVM, Yamashita K. J Small Anim Pract. 2020 May;61(5):267-271.
- Intraperitoneal and incisional analgesia in small animals: simple, cost-effective techniques. Steagall PVM, Benito J, Monteiro B, Lascelles D, Kronen PW, Murrell JC, Robertson S, Wright B, Yamashita K. J Small Anim Pract. 2020 Jan;61(1):19-23.
- Analgesia in pet rabbits: a survey study on how pain is assessed and ameliorated by veterinary surgeons. Benato L, Murrell JC, Blackwell EJ, Saunders R, Rooney N. Vet Rec. 2020 Jun 13;186(18):603.
- Comparing paracetamol/codeine and meloxicam for postoperative analgesia in dogs: a non-inferiority trial. Pacheco M, Knowles TG, Hunt J, Slingsby LS, Taylor PM, Murrell JC. Vet Rec. 2020 Oct 17;187(8):e61.
- Development of the Bristol Rabbit Pain Scale (BRPS): A multidimensional composite pain scale specific to rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Benato L, Murrell J, Knowles TG, Rooney NJ. PLoS One. 2021 Jun 11;16(6):e0252417.
- Bristol Rabbit Pain Scale (BRPS): clinical utility, validity and reliability. Benato L, Murrell J, Rooney N. BMC Vet Res. 2022 Sep 9;18(1):341.