Consultant in Dermatology
Head of the Outpatient Services Department
- EBVS® European Specialist in Veterinary Dermatology
- RCVS Specialist in Veterinary Dermatology
Natalie graduated from the Royal Veterinary College in 2001. She spent 2 years in general practice before returning to the RVC to undertake a 3-year Residency in Veterinary Dermatology. She attained her RCVS Certificate in Veterinary Dermatology in 2006 and her European Diploma in Veterinary Dermatology 2009.
Natalie has worked at The Animal Health Trust, Langford Veterinary Services and Eastcott Referrals, prior to joining the team at Bristol Vet Specialists in 2018. As well as being an experienced clinical dermatologist she also currently heads up the VetOracle Teledermatology Service
Natalie enjoys all aspects of dermatology, but her passions are feline dermatology and allergic skin and ear disease in dogs.
Publications and research:
- Perrins N, Gaudiano F, Bond R. Carriage of Malassezia spp. yeasts in cats with diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism and neoplasia. Med Mycol. 2007 Sep;45(6):541-6.
- Perrins N, Howell SA, Moore M, Bond R. Inhibition of the growth in vitro of Trichophyton mentagrophytes, Trichophyton erinacei and Microsporum persicolor by miconazole and chlorhexidine. Vet Dermatol. 2005 Oct;16(5):330-3.
- Barnard N, Foster A. How to treat Pseudomonas otitis in dogs. Vet Rec. 2018 Jan 27;182(4):109-110.
- Tyler S, Roberts C, Foster A, Barnard N, Murray JK. Owner-reported flea treatment measures and skin disease in cats.J Feline Med Surg. 2019 Apr;21(4):282-285.
- Phypers C, Reyher K, Place E, Barnard N, Foster A.Is treating anal furunculosis with 5 mg/kg ciclosporin once daily the optimal dosing schedule? Vet Rec. 2017 Feb 25;180(8):199-202.
- Swales N, Place E, Barnard N, Foster A . Are low doses of oral glucocorticoids as effective as high doses as the sole treatment for canine pemphigus foliaceus? Vet Rec. 2019 Nov 30;185(21):660-662.
- Swales N, Foster A, Blackwell E, Barnard N.Contributing to study of cats with allergic skin disease. Vet Rec. 2018 Aug 4;183(5):165.
- Tyler S, Swales N, Foster AP, Knowles TG, Barnard N. Otoscopy and aural cytological findings in a population of rescue cats and cases in a referral small animal hospital in England and Wales. J Feline Med Surg. 2020 Feb;22(2):161-167.
- Swales N, Foster A, Barnard N.Retrospective study of the presentation, diagnosis and management of 16 cats with otitis media not due to nasopharyngeal polyp. J Feline Med Surg. 2018 Dec;20(12):1082-1086.
- N. Barnard. A clinician’s guide to making a diagnosis of atopic dermatitis in dogs. In Practice. 2020. May 42 (4): 188-196
- N.Barnard. A clinician’s guide to managing atopic dermatitis in dogs. In Practice 2020. Oct 42 (8): 438-444
- N.Barnard, A. Foster. Pseudomonas otitis in dogs: a general practitioner’s guide to treatment. In Practice 2017 Oct 39(9): 386-398