Consultant in Cardiology
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Dip ACVIM-cardiology
Samantha graduated from the University of Liege (Belgium) in 2011, after which she completed a rotating internship in that same institution. She then took a research position at the University of Brussels (Belgium) in cardiovascular science.
Samantha was awarded a PhD for her research on the effect of leptin (the satiety hormone) on the cardiovascular system. In 2016, she moved to the UK and joined Langford Vets as a cardiology intern. In 2018 she started an ACVIM cardiology residency at the University of Bristol alongside a Master of Science, which she completed in July 2021. She became a cardiology diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in 2022. Samantha joined Highcroft Vet referrals in October 2021.
Samantha enjoys all aspects of veterinary cardiology, but she is particularly interested in interventional cardiology and arrhythmias.
Samantha has a busy family with three daughters, a husband and a black Labrador. She loves to walk outside, run and spend time with family and friends.
Publications and research:
- Pre-operative use of atenolol in dogs with pulmonic stenosis undergoing interventional procedures. Gomart S, MacFarlane P, Payne JR, Hezzell MJ, Borgeat K. Journal Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2022 May;36(3):877-885
- Transvalvular pulmonic stent angioplasty: procedural outcomes and complications in 15 dogs with pulmonic stenosis. Borgeat K, Gomart S, Kilkenny E, Chanoit G, Hezzell MJ, Payne JR. Journal Veterinary Cardiology. 2021 December;38:1-11.
- Long-term biological variability and the generation of a new reference interval for plasma N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide in Labrador retrievers. Gomart S, Allaway D, Harrison M, Dickson D, Seo J, Ferasin L, Payne JR, Hezzell MJ, Borgeat K. Journal of Small Animal Practice. 2020, Jun;61(6):368-373.
- Diagnostic value of the pulmonary vein-to-right pulmonary artery ratio in dogs with pulmonary hypertension of precapillary origin. Roels E, Merveille AC, Moyse E, Gomart S, Clercx C, Mc Entee K. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology. 2019, Aug;24:85-94.
- Leptin-induced endothelium-independent vasoconstriction in systemic and pulmonary arteries of spontaneously hypertensive rats: Role of calcium channels and stores. Gomart S, Gaudreau-Ménard C, Jespers P, Dilek O, Hupkens E, Hanthazi A, Naeije R, Dewachter L, Mc Entee K. PLoS ONE. 2017 Jan, 12(1)
- Pulmonary vasoreactivity in spontaneously hypertensive rats-effects of endothelin-1 and leptin. Gomart S, Damoiseaux C, Jespers P, Makanga M, Labranche N, Pochet S, Michaux C, Berkenboom G, Naeije R, McEntee K, Dewachter L. Respiratory research 2014 Feb 5;15:12.
- Pulmonary Vein-to-Pulmonary Artery Ratio is an Echocardiographic Index of Congestive Heart Failure in Dogs with Degenerative Mitral Valve Disease. Merveille AC, Bolen G, Krafft E, Roels E, Gomart S, Etienne AL, Clercx C, Mc Entee K. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2015 Nov-Dec;29(6):1502-9.
- Accuracy of different temperature reading techniques and associated stress response in hospitalized dogs. Gomart S, Allerton F, Gommeren K. Journal Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (San Antonio). 2014 May-Jun;24(3):279-85
- Effect of physiological determinants and cardiac disease on plasma adiponectin concentrations in dogs. Damoiseaux C, Merveille AC, Krafft E, Mendes Da Costa A, Gomart S, Jespers P, Michaux C, Clercx C, Verhoeven C, Mc Entee K. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2014 Nov-Dec;28(6):1738-45