Consultant in Internal Medicine
CVS Chief Veterinary Officer
- EBVS® European Veterinary Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine
- RCVS Specialist in Small Animal Medicine
Paul is RCVS recognised and EBVS® European Veterinary Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine; becoming a diplomate of the European College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in 2014. He joined Highcroft Referrals in 2018 as Clinical Director and is now Chief Veterinary Officer for CVS. As Chief Veterinary Officer, he oversees all clinical quality improvement work in farm, equine and small animal, first opinion and referral divisions to provide the best clinical care to animals – as well as acting as clinical lead on responses to national and individual patient issues.
Paul is highly focused on supporting the development of the profession and chaired the Congress Programme Committee at the British Small Animal Veterinary Association from 2020-2023.
His key passion is acute medicine, managing cases with urgent and significant illnesses; in particular immune-mediated diseases.
Publications and research:
- Diseases associated with hypercobalaminemia in dogs in the United Kingdom: A retrospective study of 47 dogs. Da Riz, F., Higgs, P. and Ruiz, G., 2021.The Canadian Veterinary Journal, 62(6), p.611.
Management and monitoring of hyperthyroid cats: a survey of Australian Veterinarians. Kopecny, L., Higgs, P., Hibbert, A., Malik, R. and Harvey, A. (2016), Journal of feline medicine and surgery, published online March 2016
- Medical management and monitoring of the hyperthyroid cat: a survey of UK general practitioners. Higgs, P., Murray, J. K., & Hibbert, A. (2014). Journal of feline medicine and surgery, published online January 2014
- Measurement of thyroxine and cortisol in canine and feline blood samples using two immunoassay analysers. Higgs, P., Costa, M., Freke, A. and Papasouliotis, K. (2014), Journal of Small Animal Practice, 55: 153–159
- Use of mid-humeral block of the radial, ulnar, musculocutaneous and median (RUMM block) nerves for extensor carpi radialis muscle biopsy in a conscious dog with the generalized neuro-muscular disease. Bortolami E, Love EJ, Harcourt-Brown TR, Higgs P, Robinson K. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia. 2012 July; 39(4): 446-7